1 Pair of Jeans,
5 Very Different Styles
The secret to making dressing better easier? Not starting from scratch every time.
A neutral base is incredibly powerful. It lets you not only dress up or go casual, but also traverse different fashion genres depending on what else is paired with it.
The Outfit: Contemporary & Casual
- Sherpa jacket – Shown: Amazon Essentials / Upgrade: Madewell
- Hightop sneakers – Shown: I nabbed these American-made sneakers by Frye from one of our Nordstrom Rack deal roundups / Similar: Nike / Diesel
- Watch cap: Goodthreads
The point here isn’t just, “Look how many different personal styles can take advantage of a sweatshirt and gray jeans,” it’s “Look how many different styles you can incorporate into your own.” You don’t have to just be the “preppy” guy or the “casual” guy or the “rock n roll” guy. Too often we fall into our wardrobe ruts where we define what we can and can’t “pull off.” Bullsh*t.
Outfit: Smart Casual Work Mode
- Sportcoat: Goodthreads from The Blazer To Keep In Your Office In Case Of Emergency
- Suede wingtips (similar): Clarks / alt: Trask
It's impressive how much the style of jacket and shoes changes an outfit. How crazy is it that you could wear the same shirt and pants to a baseball game, a cocktail bar, a motorcycle rally, and your partner’s parents’ anniversary lunch?
Outfit: Monochrome Means Business
- Leather jacket: This is a 1940s motorcycle cop jacket from a flea market, here is a similar style. If you want vintage, keep an eye out on these listings. Read more about the classic American brand Schott.
- Gray boots (similar): Frye
You begin developing your own style when you find pieces you like regardless of their genre and bring them into what you're already wearing.
Outfit: Low Key Prep
- Harrington jacket: Shown – Peter Manning / alt: Baracuta | Read more about the history of the Harrington
- Penny loafers: Shown – Sperry / upgrade: Allen Edmonds
Myth: Your outfits will all be boring and look the same unless you buy colorful and flashy items that are hard to pair.
Outfit: Put Together Workwear
- Field jacket: Shown – Peter Manning / alt: Levi's
- Plaid shirt: Similar – J.Crew / budget: Goodthreads
- Moc Toe Boots: Red Wing / alt: Danner