It’s been six months since I started my nightly cocktail blog, a project which spawned this series of articles. Response has been pretty great, and people seem to be enjoying trying out the new drinks. I’m hearing about it here, and on Twitter, and over at the blog. That’s pretty cool!
So let’s celebrate with a big ol’ glass of punch. This is a recipe I originally created for a friend, who was commemorating – with his wife, family, and friends – the end of his residency and start as an actual doctor. They collaborated with my wife to come up with the name, which is fantastic. Short, memorable, and a good pun. Plus they’re both PhD’s, so it makes sense.
The punch is a delicious, sparkling mix of fruit, amaretto, and rum flavors. It’s complex to make, but that’s part of the appeal of punches, and for the full-size recipe, most of it can be done in advance. I’ve included recipes both for a single serving (which uses juice and skips a few ingredients, to stay semi-manageable), and a big batch of it. Enjoy!
- 2 oz. Orange Juice
- 1 oz. Amaretto (I used Gozio)
- .75 oz. Gold Rum (Plantation 5 Year is delicious and affordable)
- .25 oz. Cherry Brandy (Cherry Heering is the way to go)
- .25 oz. Real Grenadine (I had Homemade but Stirrings is fine)
- 1 lime wedge
- 2 Dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
- Sparkling Wine
Squeeze the lime wedge into a cocktail shaker and then drop it in. Add the rest of the ingredients and a generous helping of ice, and shake thoroughly. Strain into a hurricane glass filled with ice, top with sparkling wine while stirring gently, and garnish with Luxardo maraschino cherries and an orange slice.
This article is a modified and enhanced version of a post that ran on my nightly cocktail blog, DrinkShouts.
The Doctor's Orders Cocktail Recipe
- Cocktail shaker
- Cocktail Strainer
- Hurricane glass
- 2 oz. Orange juice
- 1 oz. Amaretto Gozio
- .75 oz. Gold rum Plantation 5 Year
- .25 oz. Cherry brandy Cherry Heering
- .25 oz. Real grenadine
- 1 Lime wedge
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s Bitters
- Sparkling wine
- Luxardo maraschnio cherries Garnish
- Orange slice Garnish
- Squeeze the lime wedge into a cocktail shaker and then drop it in. Add the rest of the ingredients and a generous helping of ice, and shake thoroughly. Strain into a hurricane glass filled with ice, top with sparkling wine while stirring gently, and garnish with Luxardo maraschino cherries and an orange slice.