Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- Everyone laughed when she took those “toe calisthenics” classes until it helped catch a criminal. (It should be pointed out that no such classes exist and therefore, this woman didn’t really take any classes aimed to increase the dexterity and strength of one’s toes – she just knows how to get out of a real jam. Also: they didn’t catch the criminal yet so… make sure you take off your socks before any robbery from now on.)
- Even as a devoted fan of the entire saga, I’m a little confused as to how Kashyyyk is not only the coolest Star Wars planet but the coolest planet in all of science-fiction, according to GeekoSystem. Maybe it’s me but I would much rather go to a place like Coruscant or Cloud City.
- Did you know Pablo Picasso once did a painting that measured 34 feet by 38 feet? Well, he did. And it’s now on display in England.
- Cue up Peter Gabriel because I cannot stop staring at these super-closeups of human eyeballs.
- A study by the University of Rochester suggests that women are more attracted to men who wear red. Great. I will raise a complaint though (and obviously my experiment was not terribly scientific): I wore a three-piece red suit to my Senior Prom and nobody could have cared less. Rebuttal, Rochester?
- I’m just going to give you the headline of this story that is completely true: Radioactive Wild Boars Increase in Number. Click it. Seriously.
- Mark Cuban’s pursuit of the Texas Rangers came out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly. So what happened, there? It’s actually a long story and Mr. Cuban himself is probably the best source.
- Another month, another giant squid. I like being alive in the 21st century, where we can confirm the existence of these real-world monsters.
- As it turns out, high fructose corn syrup does NOT cause pancreatic cancer. Good to know.
- Years from now, when Tom Cruise is running around talking about PreCrime, we’ll look back at this story and wonder why nobody intervened.
- It seemed like Shark Week wasn’t quite as big of a deal, this year. Maybe everyone just read this infographic instead?
- So, you’ve chosen to wear a sweater vest. Well done. But beware, as there are many rules you must follow.
- The results are in: money doesn’t buy happiness. Thanks, Recession! We really misjudged you.
Have a week!