Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- The most common topic everywhere, this week: “how will the healthcare reform affect me?” The best source to answer that question: the New York Times.
- Ever sat down and thought about where the first dog was domesticated? No? Oh. …well, researchers think they have figured it out, anyway.
- Hopefully, you already knew that a McDonald’s Happy Meal was not the most healthy and/or nutritious food choice but the Baby Bites blog just submitted a very stark piece of visual evidence – the fast food in question, even when left on a shelf for an entire year, does not decompose at all. (editor’s note: the site was down at the time of publishing due to traffic.)
- The Art of Manliness is begging us to resurrect the 19th century through the use of manly slang. I’m all in.
- Tired of the perpetual pessimism and human disappointment that is the Fail Blog? Karma has given us Succeed Blog. (Personally, I would’ve called it “Win Blog” but hey – we’re staying positive, remember?)
- There were only three flaws with the classic children’s time waster “Wooly Willy”: it was too small, it wasn’t durable, and it was not useful in any other way. Thankfully, someone over at Instructables has opened our eyes to a world where, using only metal, IKEA furniture, and creativity, we can all have our own Wooly Willy Coffee Table.
- If anyone criticizes all the money and attention devoted to the NCAA Tournament over the next few weeks, just send them towards this Fast Company infographic about how much money is generated for universities and local economies. Upon first viewing, these detractors will instantly feel like jerks.
- The guy who takes charge at work and with the ladies is an ‘Alpha Male’. The guy who remains unemployed, single, and struggles to get anything done (in or out of an independent film)? That’s an ‘Omega Male‘ (or “Justin Brown”). Where do you fit in?
- Pop quiz! Which is a greater threat to rare species around the world: global warming or the Internet? Due to illegal wildlife trade, it’s actually the latter.
- Though the coffee industry didn’t truly explode until Generation X matured and created the juggernaut that is Starbucks, it appears that a few cups of coffee per day actually may benefit elderly women more than anyone.
- “The Asian Carp Invasion” seems more like a Roger Corman movie for the SyFy network than an actual ecological and safety issue in Louisiana.
- It seems like the punishment for trying to break in to prison should actually be a lifetime sentence of freedom.
- You know how you’ve always wanted your own boat? Well, stop with the savings account and start recycling plastic bottles.