Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- I cannot sum this story up any better than its headline: Will artificial photosynthesis power the world?
- You may have caught wind of the fact that more and more advertisers are moving away from buying airtime during Glenn Beck’s television program. But SOMEONE still must be running commercials during those breaks, right?
- Spooky little fact slipped into this New York Times interview about hospital safety: only about 30-40% of doctors wash their hands (the doctors at hospitals working to improve their safety records only clean up 70% of the time). Stunning. And quite unsettling.
- The health insurance industry must be universally opposed to any semblance of healthcare reform, yes? There surely cannot be one (or eight) reasons for them to support it… can there?
- Which country do you think sells the most arms, worldwide? Which country do you think buys the most? GOOD educates us on a subject you would think we’d hear a lot more about.
- Easy-to-read, monthly energy efficiency “report cards” from OPOWER might be the first step towards Americans changing their energy habits for the better.
- While the scenario is certainly not ideal, it is nice that most commercial airliners probably would survive terrorist attacks like that attempted by Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab on Christmas Day.
- The UK’s Royal Mail system automatically reads stamps based on the colors rather than any sort of super-scientific technology scanning process. This, naturally, gives us cool art on envelopes.
- If we ever have to flee the planet a la The Axiom from WALL-E, I think we know to which space nebula we shall navigate. “Orion Earth” does sound pretty cool, I will admit.
- Anytime you think nature, as currently constituted, is as dangerous as ever… stop. Just stop. Every single scary creature (snake, shark, bear, and bug) that lingers in the modern world has been around for a while and all of them were once gargantuan in size (and as terrifying as the word “gargantuan”).
- Hopefully, the rest of the world enjoys correctly spelling oft-misspelled names from pop culture as much as I ever have.
- To take advantage of the massive marketing boon sure to surround the forthcoming release of IRON MAN 2, Marvel Comics has ushered in special, Iron Man-centric variant covers for several of their other graphic novels like Daredevil and Moon Knight.
- Ever wanted to get a good glimpse inside the playbook belonging to one of the most offensive-minded NBA coaches (Mike D’Antoni)? Hopefully your answer is “yes” because otherwise… you’ve already moved on.