Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- For about ten seconds after reading this report, I was thinking “man, I really need to get to Uranus and Neptune” but then I remembered “oh yeah, NASA hasn’t even reached Mars yet… I might need to craft a contingency plan.”
- Still struggling with that bit of holiday weight? Men’s Fitness has 101 ways to lose your gut.
- If there ever was a case for “avoiding human contact for extended periods of time,” these chimps in the Congo definitely make it.
- Even though it’s incredibly odd and morbid (also: expensive), I think I kind of like the idea of collecting the skulls of dead famous people. Beethoven would be a good start to the collection.
- Kill some time by looking through Film the Blanks’ gallery of abstracted/reduced movie posters and trying to identify each.
- The only thing that would make birds-playing-electric-guitar better would be if one of them just started shredding the solo from “My Sharona” and then flew away.
- There are a lot of misconceptions regarding the current state of the video gaming population but with this chart from Online Education, everyone will discover the “shocking” truth about things like the average age of gamers (spoiler: it's over 30 and has been for the better part of a decade).
- As it turns out, new clothes are not as sterile and clean as we all thought. So… maybe wash them before wearing them?
- If the endless pictures and videos of Haiti coming out of every news agency after last week’s earthquake weren’t communicative enough of the destruction, take a look at a bunch of before-and-after satellite photos from Google.
- There are already a dozen good reasons to use a bicycle but maybe the best reason ever lies inside this concept: bike in the air!
- Need a cheap, humane way to catch a mouse? Chris Glass has a wonderful idea involving a toilet paper roll and gravity.
- Because sometimes watching people hurting themselves with various products on YouTube isn’t clinical or legitimate enough, the Miami Sun Sentinel has posted an entire database of injuries reported by emergency rooms – it’s pretty informative. Example: this lady was apparently 215 years old when she fell out of her bed.
- Quick: why did fish evolve gills? The answer is not what you (and several editions of textbooks) may believe.