Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- If you’re going to get into a 100 mph car wreck with a guardrail and an overpass, you might as well make sure someone catches it on tape. Also: cars can fly.
- Our species has accomplished quite a bit but Weird Worm thinks there are five fundamental concepts we still can’t quite get our arms around. (I have an additional nomination: why can’t we, as a people, decide where to put trail mix at the supermarket? Every store I visit puts it in a different place.)
- The next time you have some chest pain, the first thing you should do is try to remember if you inhaled any vegetables in the last few months. No, seriously.
- Apparently, sharks are getting smarter. Not silly, Deep Blue Sea-levels of intelligence where increased shark brain size somehow allows them to conquer the physically impossible and swim backwards but real-world SMART.
- Did you know that the Great Russian Heat Wave of 2010 is one of the “most intense, widespread, and long-lasting heat waves” ever? Did you even know that there is such thing as a Great Russian Heat Wave of 2010? I didn’t.
- Sometimes you just get tired of clarity and want your photographs to look old and vintage. How to do this? Ask Photojojo.
- The Knockoff Tennis Shoes rabbit hole goes down pretty deep. I had no idea.
- I hope your day is full of positivity already because the following statement surely won’t contribute any of its own: “a new mutation that makes bacteria resistant to pretty much every antibiotic known to man has become increasingly prevalent on the Indian subcontinent and has made the leap to both the UK and the United States“. Ruh-roh.
- Apparently there is a niche group that isn’t even represented at Comic Con, of all places. This group? People searching for authenticity at Comic Con (whatever that entails).
- If you would like to keep your touchscreen phone’s unlock-password a secret, make sure you remember to wipe.
- Science: if the world stopped spinning, oceanfront property would suddenly be in abundance. Other important things would happen too but… y’know, none of them are as cool as all the new beach houses we’d have.
- Birds-flying-into-windows is not only terrifying to those of us inside the building but it is quite deadly for the birds (an estimated 100 million birds die in this way each year). With this in mind, a German company has developed a type of glass that discourages these unnecessary, unintended fowl suicides.
- Did you know there is an ATM in Antarctica? Well, there is. Think about that for a few days.