Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- Somehow, the Naica Crystal Cave of Giants in Mexico gets left off all these lists of “Natural Wonders.” Maybe because those crystals are actually not of this world and every government is actually in on the alien conspiracy? That’s only a theory; just spitballing, here.
- Accomplished writer/journalist Dan Gillmor has produced some of the most intriguing thoughts on how new technology (specifically, the Internet) can affect the traditional media and now he has a gaggle of ideas about how he would run his own news organization.
- I guess Hollywood better put the brakes on that female-centric re-imagining of Liar, Liar – there would be a lot of downtime between comedic moments of truth. (Calm down, there was no remake in the works. See: I’m a guy so, I lied.)
- Chinese snake experts presume a snake with a clawed foot is merely a mutation. Ah, to be young and witless. This is a harbinger, people; a serious sign of things to come. Start stockpiling canned food immediately.
- If I had to eat the flag of a country, I think I would go with Italy or Switzerland.
- I suppose it was only a matter of time before Facebook officially entered the ranks of “Our Powerful Overlords”. Also: the Facebook headquarters? What a disappointment – I want stainless steel and blue LEDs, sir.
- Good-looking, legible handwriting is now a rare skill, it would appear. I hope this translates to me being paid copious amounts of money as a hired gun penman.
- Let’s face it: a mass-produced Jabba the Hutt costume is long overdue. Well, stop complaining because there is one on the way. A writer for StarWars.com even went ahead and took some pictures and video to show you what’s in store, should you decide to go as a giant space slug gangster for Halloween, this year.
- And the Linkszomania award for “Most Terrific Shopping Mall Design in the History of Humans” goes to… Italy! I never knew I wanted to go buy some new shoes and see a movie inside what appears to be a green volcano but… turns out I really do.
- Ever wondered what mathematicians think about, when watching popular movies? I didn’t. Until I read this.
- If “not looking like Quasimodo at age 50” wasn’t incentive enough to sit or stand up straight, a new study indicates that good posture inspires confidence. Don’t get arrogant, though –sitting up straight all the time apparently isn’t so well-advised.
- Do you have one of America’s five deadliest jobs? If your daily grind is featured on the Discovery Channel, there’s a pretty good chance that the answer is “yes”.
- Everyone can agree: space is serene and infinite and beautiful. Yeah, but sometimes it’s got pee all over it. Not such a sterile place anymore, huh?