By Justin Brown
Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, and superheroes – nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- I never really thought about what happened to the Neanderthals when humans showed up on the scene but I suppose there was an epic and disgusting clash unfolding in the past, all along.
- I wish I could contract someone to paint a portrait of me on an egg carton. Or at least on a single egg.
- Matthew Mira over at Nerdist has compiled 7(ish) Things I’ve Always Wondered about: Back To The Future related to Back to the Future about which he has always wondered.
- I submit this story as maybe the most horrifying chronicle ever associated with parents and/or drugs. The next time you think your issues are universally the most dire… think again.
- Now there’s a useful and applicable reason for me to keep all my old NES cartridges that I just found in the attic. The only thing that would make sitting-in-traffic tolerable? Marble Madness in the palm of my hands.
- It might be a good idea to avoid going to a hip, twentysomething town like Portland or Austin for the time being, as the unemployment rate is particularly heinous and – as you may have heard – there’s a recession going on, out there.
- The ridiculousness of the term “staycation” notwithstanding, the concept behind it is rather sensible. I’m going to go on my roof, dressed as an astronaut.
- The New York Review of Magazines has a nice feature this month entitled “Game Over” on the life and death of the New York Times Sports Magazine, PLAY.
- I’m a huge fan of Orange Beautiful‘s stationery, art prints, design, and typography; I specifically want wallpaper made up of the four Motivation prints.
- While it’s very hard to get excited about something that is still three years away, it’s dually very hard not to get excited about something this relevant and meaningful.
- All right, gun to your head: if you had to guess whether American passenger trains were faster now or during the Harding administration… which way do you lean? Well, get ready to have your mind blown (figuratively, of course… I don’t have a gun).
- I’ve been trying to get myself into the NHL for a long time and if you need some sort of stimulus to jumpstart your interest, give Kevin Smith’s recent hockey-centric TIME article the old lookie-loo.
- I stumbled across the trailer for a movie called GOOBY while trolling on Apple’s site not long ago. If you want to experience the complete and utter convergence of “terrible”, “horrifying”, and “dreadful”, do yourself a favor and check it out yourself.
Have a week!