Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, and superheroes — nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- Maybe it’s me. Y’know, maybe I’m just uninformed or don’t understand how the media works or what qualifies as big news but when I read “AIDS Used to Cure Cancer”, that… that seems like a pretty big deal, yeah?
- If you’re one of those people who constantly throws junk at the wall that is YouTube, hoping one of your efforts will stick to the tune of “millions of views” and dumb interviews on The Today Show… I’ve got some sobering news for you. Honestly, even if you’re merely aiming for the “low end” of around 1000 views? Chances are still less than 3%. Pack it in.
- Forsman & Bodenfor have designed a pretty innovative and neat catalog website for IKEA wherein the user can interact with the pictures showcasing the products via music. Yes, music.
- Much of the modern world seems to have completely forgotten about the awesomeness that is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Well, The Design Inspiration rounded up over forty artists’ stylistic interpretations of the crime-fighting foursome. Be warned, however: it’s like wrapping yourself up in a big ninja and reptile-themed towel right after it comes out of the dryer.
- Am I the only one who never understands the purpose of lists like ‘Top 10 Best Stunt Movies of All-Time’ when they’re concocted by writers or critics (see also: people who generally have no idea of the impressiveness or intricacy of stuntwork)? So, now you wonder “all right, honkey tonk: what films do stuntmen consider to have the best stunts”. Well, wonder no more!
- Anyone who stopped cycling because their local Department of Transportation is dragging their feet on widening roads and painting bike lanes is going to love me after they click this link.
- I’d bet $100 that a “Tornado vs. Train” feature film would be better than both of the ALIEN VS. PREDATOR flicks combined. I know from whence I speak (it gets real around the one-minute mark).
- This book probably should have been written a decade ago but it is coming (available for pre-order on Amazon now) and I couldn’t be more pleased about it. Now let us count the days until I complete my Stupendous Man Halloween costume.
- Irish airline Ryanair is considering modifying their cabins to accommodate more passengers. Oh, but they’re going to have some of the people stand (like on a bus) rather than sit, on shorter flights. The world will either embrace this idea or the company will be bankrupt within ten days.
- A handheld nuclear fusion reactor obviously would yield quite a cultural, technological, environmental, and political impact. However, the reason I’m looking forward to it rhymes with “real-life Iron Man.”
- The lesson to be learned from this collection of ‘Flags of Forgotten Countries’ is clearly “do not put two of the same animal on your flag, lest your nation ultimately crumble under the weight of its own fauna.”
- Please don’t curse your future sons. It will save us all tax money, someday.
- I don’t know how much longer I can defend America’s honor when it comes to our lack of high-speed trains. Europe and Asia are just sitting there laughing at us, people! Look at this chart! Finland is kicking our ass! And now Canada is getting in on the act! What are we doing?!