Every Wednesday, I’m going to take you on a whirlwind adventure of 13 links chronicling the news throughout the geek world I inhabit. Whether it’s movies, music, art, politics, gadgets, science, sports, grammar, or superheroes… nothing’s out of bounds and everything’s interesting.
Let it begin…
- If this story of a cat fighting his way back from frozen death doesn’t put a smile on your face, there’s something wrong with you.
- Lifehacker has compiled a collection of nice, snowy wallpapers to help you prepare for the coming winter months.
- Who knew research projects could yield such impressive photographs?
- I don’t know what the future holds for “Osmotic Power” but the idea of creating electricity merely from the mixture of saltwater and freshwater is as cool as it is simple.
- Mark Cuban suggests that the US Olympic basketball team should only have players age 21-and-under (read it, it actually isn’t as crazy as it sounds).
- Somehow the idea of human lifespan being increased by scientific research has fallen by the wayside when it comes to continuous news stories but a summit held recently has forced the issue back into the forefront and… the goals are certainly being set pretty high.
- Improv Everywhere’s newest mission involved tricking an entire section of spectators at a New York Knicks game that one of their agents could not find his way back to his seat. It is incredible.
- So… we have lightsabers now? Is that what I’m supposed to take away from this? I was weeping with happiness from the picture and headline so I didn’t bother to read any of the details.
- Heroes and sociopaths are apparently wired the same way which, when you think about it, makes a lot of sense (how else do we explain Michael Jordan?).
- Nothing drives home the suddenly obvious failures of Dubai quite like a photo gallery.
- Wait, is Barack Obama two months away from secretly having the best first year of any President since Franklin Delano Roosevelt? Slate’s Jacob Weinberg thinks so.
- In Contention sat down with Jeff Bridges for a lengthy, candid interview about his career and his most recent bound-to-win-awards feature film, Crazy Heart (Bridges reveals some pretty interesting details about the script for Iron Man).
- It’s 20-25 times as large as the Sun and it’s about to go supernova. Ruh roh.